With only one week left before I leave for Vietnam it seems only fitting that my plans would change. I am no longer going to Hue, instead I will be in Ha Noi. I’ll still be working for the same organization, but my job description has changed and I’m in a completely different city than I’ve spent the past 6 months researching and looking forward to. Did I mention I’m already packed for Hue?
Here is my job description be sure to comment and give me any tips or pointers as I have no experience in this field.
- Assist with the development of project concept notes and proposals that support SRD Climate Change section’s short and long‑term strategy.
- Assist with writing and editing website and newsletter articles which related to Climate Change forest management and environment fields.
- Assist with writing and editing reports on Climate Change program/ projects.
- Support ongoing Climate Change mainstreaming activities within SRD’s program.
- Support the development, management and implementation of SRD’s Climate Change projects, including undertaking needs/vulnerability assessments, conducting baseline surveys etc as required.
- Participate in other related activities of the organization and engage/liaise with partners on SRD’s behalf through climate change and FLEGT networks (as assigned).
- Assist with organizing logistic and reporting of Climate Change department led workshops.
A small update for everyone!
I’m currently writing the last academic papers of my undergraduate degree titled “Genocide: Perpetrated through Sexual Violence” and “Gender Mainstreaming in Structural Adjustment: The Forgotten Element”. I’ll share more on these later.
Once those are submitted I’ll be back in full force and excited to share some of what I learnt while writing them (particularly the one about genocide).
What’s interesting about my degree is that while this is my last academic term (which will officially end tonight at midnight), I still have eight months left of my degree. However those eight months will be spent in Vietnam working for the Center for Sustainable Rural Development.
I will be leaving Canada September 9th around noon, but I will be leaving home (aka Northern Ontario) near the end of August, so in the mean time if there is anything you’re interested in regarding gender issues, my placement, or anything that you think I’d find interesting, please share it with me and I’d be happy to read/write about it.
As I’ve been getting a little heavy with the social issues posts, I thought I’d share a little something I found amusing about Hue City, Vietnam. As this is where I’ll be living from September 2012 – April 2013, I try to find and follow any news about it and I came across this.
A bull was recently spotted running around near the runway of the Hue airport. No one knew where the bull came from or who it belonged to; this was the first time a bull was spotted in the area.
It resulted in the airport’s closure for the day, however the situation is now under control.
I now know that I will be working with Sustainable Rural Development (SRD from now on), however they have yet to confirm where I will be in Vietnam. I was told that Hanoi or Hue would be most likely, however I had assumed this entire time that Hue was the only options as it was listed on the application.
Now I play the waiting game yet again. But here is an exciting map with all of the potential locations that I could be next year!